Friday 8 November 2013

Vegan Dinner Recipe: Burger Beet Patties


Just say yes, guys. Just say yes. I found this recipe on the post punk kitchen, and I make them ALL THE TIME. With my own home made burger buns. Hells yes, these burgers are the business. And friends, are they FILLING. Let us begin:



Ingredients:
One and a quarter cups of COOKED brown rice
A tin of brown lentils, drained
A medium to large beetroot, peeled and grated
A teaspoon of salt
A teaspoon of dried thyme
Half a teaspoon of ground fennel
A teaspoon of dried mustard (I use Keens)
A small onion, chopped fine
Two cloves of garlic, chopped fine
Two tablespoons of almond butter (I have also done it with peanut butter, which tastes fine)
Half a cup of breadcrumbs

Oil for frying

Instructions:

Put the rice, lentils, and beetroot in a food processor and process lightly.


You just want to mix it and chop it a bit, not puree.


Now pop the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. I had to grind up fennel seeds in my nifty little mortar and pestle.


There's the almond butter!


Okay so now put the beetroot/rice/lentil mix in the bowl. You need to mix them, and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Trust me, it's fun.


Mix well, until you have a meaty-looking, pink, mincey mixture.

Now cover it and put it in the fridge for half an hour.

Divide the mixture into eight and shape them into patties.

Heat up the oil in a pan with the oil up medium to high. Fry for three to four minutes on either side.


The burgers should brown and char a little, sort of like cooked burgers!

Now serve in a bun, with some handmade sweet potato fries and condiments!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Will you put up the bun recipe too?! I can't wait to try these for myself x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bun recipe is going up next!

    ReplyDelete