Tuesday 3 September 2013

Vegan Dinner Recipe: Yellow split pea dahl



Today I worked and then immediately went to a class, and didn't get home till five thirty. Needless to say, EXHAUSTED! But, because I'm a clever kid, I remembered this morning to soak a cup and a half of yellow split peas in about three cups of boiling water before I left the house, because then I could rest easy about dinner.

This is such an easy meal and works with a variety of things.

Because I'm scraping the bottom of the cupboard I'm going to add peas for a bit of green. If I had spinach, I would either add that during cooking around where I'd add the peas, or, I'd cook it up separately with some garlic and fenugreek leaves. Also, I will be serving the dahl with roti, but it works just as well with any of the usual suspects: naan, rice, fruity nut rice (I love that stuff)... yeah.

To the recipe!

Ingredients:

One and half cups of yellow split peas, soaked for a couple of hours in hot water
A tablespoon of oil
Two and a quarter cups of water
A cinnamon quill (I didn't have one so I went with a pinch of ground cinnamon)
Four small potatoes, chopped
Three quarters of a cup of frozen peas, OR, some spinach (frozen/fresh) OR, neither of these items

A tablespoon of oil
two teaspoons of cumin seeds
two cloves of garlic
two teaspoons of ground coriander
a teaspoon of tumeric
a teaspoon and a half of salt
a squeeze of lemon juice
A tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander

Instructions

Combine: the soaked, drained split peas, one tablespoon of oil, cinnamon, and water in a big pot.

 
Bring to the boil.





 Put the lid on, reduce the heat, and cook it for fifteen minutes.

Add the potato, stir a bit, then put the lid back on.




Cook. It will take between fifteen to twenty minutes, the split peas will become soft, the potato will be cooked, and the water will be all cooked away.

Add the peas and cook for a couple of minutes.




Turn the heat off.

Get a frying pan and heat your other tablespoon of oil on a medium to high heat.

Add the cumin seeds and cook for a couple of minutes, they should be fragrant.



Turn the heat down low, then add the garlic, ground coriander, tumeric, and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes.



Pour the cooked split-peas, potatoes and peas into the spices. Stir well over the low heat.





Turn off the heat. Pour in some lemon juice and the fresh coriander.

Serve however you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment