Saturday 17 August 2013

Friday night vegan dinner review



That, my friends, is a steak-eater eating a vegan mushroom stack. He liked it so much he went back for seconds, and furthermore coined the phrase

"If it grows on a tree, it's alright with me."

I'm not counting my vegan chickens yet, but I admire his adventurous vegan spirit.




The salad was excellent and complimented the meal well (as did the margaritas, let's be honest).

The mushroom stack, as I mentioned in the recipe notes, could have benefited from more mash. Because really, who ever in the history of the world said, "uh, sorry, but can I have a little less mash, thanks?" Nobody, that's who. So when I make it again in a couple of weeks (himself is smitten by the mushroom stack) I'll up the mash and amend the original recipe.

And for the piece de resistance, my cheesecake experiment. It turned out pretty well, aside from the fact that it just wasn't cheesecake. It was, as Jen Raccoon pointed out, very similar in texture to panacotta. Which in itself is an achievement, I suppose, to create vegan version of a dish made of milk, cream and gelatine.

So, if you want to cook a complete vegan meal for four grown adults with a sort of "contemporary Australian" theme, I definitely recommend this combination. The salad and mushroom stack isn't overly time consuming, and although the panacotta needs extensive cooling time, the actual process isn't that demanding.

Make sure you keep on top of the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment