Saturday 31 August 2013

Vegan how-to: Bestest bagels



I have eaten a lot of bread in my time. Arguably, too much bread. (Arguably because I might argue that there is no such thing, although my bathroom scales may disagree. I've eaten bread from all the cultures, I'm a bread adventurist.

And in my very experienced opinion, if you see a Jewish bakery, that's where you want to get your bread. The Jewish people have it going on when it comes to baking, and I was determined to learn bagels. Because bagels are my favourite bread.

When I discovered the secret to bagels, I was so excited, because it's just one extra step in the process and makes all the difference. Also, bagels are NATURALLY VEGAN. During my conversion I realised I wouldn't have to sacrifice bagels, and that has made everything much easier for me!

Interest piqued? To the recipe!


Ingredients:

Three and a half cups of flour
One and a quarter cups of warm water
A 7g packet of yeast
Three and a half tablespoons of caster sugar
One and a half teaspoons of salt

Instructions:

Add the yeast and one and a half tablespoons of sugar to half a cup of warm water, stir, and leave it to sit for ten minutes. This is called 'proofing' the yeast, it should swell and bubble up. If it doesn't, the yeast is no good. Do it again (it could be the water is too hot or too cold, although most yeast has a pretty decent range before it gets killed dead!)






Put your flour and salt in a big bowl and mix it up, creating a dip in the centre. Once the yeast is proven add the mixture to the flour.





Mix it in, with a flat blade knife if you like, then add the rest of the water and pull it all together. Don't be afraid to use your hands!






Tip it onto a floured countertop and knead it for ten minutes, or until it's stretchy, soft and elastic. I love kneading.

Now oil up the bowl, and roll the dough in it so it's completely oiled.

Cover it in a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place (I recommend a couple of inches of hot water in the sink, with a cup for the bowl to balance on, unless it is summer. In that case, use the sun, people!)


Leave it for an hour to double in size. After an hour, punch the air out and leave it for ten minutes.





Okay. Pull the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface. Using a knife, divide into eight equal pieces.

Pick up each piece and roll it around in both hands, forming a ball. Push it, so it's a bit flat, then poke your finger right through the middle and give it a stretch. You'll end up with eight of these bad boys:



Put them on a baking tray, I like to cover my baking tray in baking paper. Cover with the damp cloth again and leave them to rest for ten minutes.





While you're doing this, pre-heat the oven to about 200 degrees and fill a big, flat saucepan full of water. Bring the pan to the boil, and add two tablespoons of sugar to the water.

After the ten minutes is up, and the water is boiling, drop the bagels in the water. You may have to cook them in batches if your pan isn't big enough.


Boil those suckers for four minutes over a medium heat, then turn them over and cook them for another four minutes.

Take them out of the water with a slotted spoon and place them back on the baking tray.

Slide them into the oven.


Cook for about twenty minutes. Remove when they look like this...





Oh my God SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW...

No comments:

Post a Comment